Sunday, April 20, 2014

2014 - Chicago (Day 2)

Today is the first full day that we spend in Chicago.  First stop, breakfast!!

We head down to Yolk for breakfast which is by the bottom of the loop in the downtown.  The transit system is pretty neat.  We paid for the one day pass which is $10.  You get an electronic NFC card.  It seems similar to the system in New York.

Yolk had an hour wait time so we stopped by the Trader Joe's that is nearby.  Neat little shop.  Harold was disappointed because it didn't have espresso pillows so we had to go find another one.

After Trader Joe's we went back to Yolk to see how the line was and we were still 30 minutes away.  So we went to the nearby art installation and had some awesome shots.  Yolk was pretty good.  Reminds me of Over Easy.

Next stop we went to our friend's 62 chicken shack location for a quick peek and photo.
Next we went to see the Buckingham fountain which is the fountain in Married with Children.  A lot bigger than I thought it would be.

Onto the bean!!!  Or Cloud Gate as it is officially known.  This thing is pretty awesome.  Check out the pictures!!!

After we went to the magnificent mile which is the shopping district.  Found a lot of big shops.  Nike was four stories.  Burberry is five stories!!!  We stopped by Grand Lux Cafe for a snack.  We had desserts and some drinks.  Everything was great.  There is a famous popcorn place here called Garrett's and the line was ridiculous!  This better be the best popcorn ever.  Instead we left and hoped for the best at Navy Pier since there is a second location there.

We wandered a bit more after and headed to the John Hancock Tower.  Unfortunately after looking at what they had to offer we decided not to go up it even though we just made it.  We will try for the Sears Tower tomorrow.

Wandered down to pizza thinking the line wouldn't be bad but it was an hour wait.  Walked to another one, same deal.  So we decided to try Purple Pig.  The line was 2.5 hours long.  So we decided to go to Navy Pier instead.

Navy Pier was unfortunately under construction so we weren't able to see anything.  Maybe next time.  Luckily the line up at Garrett's wasn't as bad but we still spent about 30 minutes waiting and for them to go through all of our orders.

We tried one more time for pizza and we were successful.  The deep dish pizza was okay.  We were told there are better places.

Our day ended with us getting back at 12:20am.  Longer day than expected.  Harold again out spent us all again.  Popcorn alone Harold spent $72!!!

Tomorrow we look into the boat cruise and maybe a baseball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment